Everyone now and then I like to take our kids out for "coffee". The kids get hot chocolates or a flavored steamed milk and I order my dark roast coffee. Then Noah and Josie pick something delicious out of the bakery case and Anna gets the fresh fruit. Oh how I would love to be able to let Anna have her pick of bakery treats too! She handles it better than I would. No complaints. We try to focus our conversation on things other than the yummy treats in an attempt to take any focus off what we are eating and focus on our conversation.
This morning I re-created this pre-allergy favorite quick bread. It reminds me so much of Starbucks Classic Coffee Cake. I'm going to freeze a couple of slices so that the next time we go out for coffee, Anna can have a yummy baked treat too.
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 t cinnamon
2 c Natalie's Gluten Free Flour Mix
1 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c canola oil or coconut oil
Glaze: 1/4 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 - 2 t milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour loaf pan.
2. Combine 1/2 c sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just till combined.
4. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of cinnamon sugar mixture. Then carefully, pour the remaining batter on top, making sure it covers evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Cut through the batter with a knife to swirl.
5. Bake 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before drizzling with the glaze.
Thanks Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays and Fireflies and Jellybeans for letting me share this blog post!