This weekend was full of pumpkin treats. For breakfast yesterday, I made Tessa the Domestic Diva's Pumpkin Pancakes and added White Chocolate Chips. They were amazing! We had one extra and I saved it for a snack later in the day. Oh man! It was so good cooled, almost like a cookie. Next time I make these, I will double the recipe to plan to save some for snacks and to send with the kid's lunches. For the chia meal, I substituted ground flax seeds (1 T ground flax, whisked with 3 T warm water, let sat about 10 minutes) and I used rice milk.
In the afternoon, I baked Pumpkin Biscuits with the leftover canned pumpkin. This recipe was always one of my favorite Cooking Light recipes. It was easy to adapt the recipe to make it safe for our family. All I needed to change was the flour. And when you top them off with the Orange Honey Butter...Mmmmm!! These biscuits would be a great addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.
Note: I mix my own flour at home (called Natalie's Gluten Free Flour Mix) but if you buy a package of gluten free flour mix at the store just make sure it has xanthan gum in it. If it doesn't, you will need to add 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons xanthan gum to your 2 c flour.
2 c Natalie's Gluten Free Flour Mix
3 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 c chilled butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 c buttermilk
1/2 c canned pumpkin (I use Libby's)
1. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour through the nutmeg. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender until it resembles a coarse meal.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and pumpkin. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly and roll dough to about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thickness. Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 11 minutes or until golden.
5. Serve warm with Orange Honey Butter.
Orange Honey Butter
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c honey
1/2 teaspoon orange zest (grated orange rind)
Mix together well.
This recipe share on Mealtime Mondays, Tasteful Tuesdays, Gluten Free Fridays and Show and Tell Saturdays.