Old Fashioned Christmas cookies stir up Christmas memories. My mother, shared some of her old cookie cutters, ones that we used together years ago and now I get to use them with my little ones. This recipe is gluten free, egg free, nut free and full of classic sugar cookie buttery flavor. These cookies can be made in advance and frozen until ready to serve.
If you are looking for a gluten free & vegan recipe, click here.
Cookies:1 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg (1 egg = 1 1/2 tsp dry Egg Replacer plus 2 tbsp water)
1 t vanilla
3 c Natalie's Gluten Free Flour Mix (or if using a different gluten free flour mix, make sure there is xanthan gum in the mix or else you will need to add it)
2 t baking powder
1. Cream butter and sugar, on low beat in egg and vanilla. Mix in flour and baking powder a little at a time. Do not refrigerate. Dough will not roll if cold. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sprinkle work surface with a couple drops of water then lay a sheet of wax paper down (the water will keep the wax paper from sliding, while rolling the dough). Flour work surface, shape dough into a disc and sprinkle with flour. Cover dough with another sheet of wax paper. Place your roller on top of the wax paper. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Carefully transfer cookies to baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
3. Bake 7-8 minutes at 400. Transfer to wire rack to cool after a couple of minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before icing.
Icing:6 c powdered sugar
1/4 c milk (or your favorite milk substitute rice, coconut...)
1/4 c light corn syrup
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
* assorted food coloring (if you are looking for dye free coloring, I use India Tree's Natural Colors)
1. Mix together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Add corn syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more milk or water.
2. Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity.
Recipe shared on Gluten Free Wednesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Gluten Free Fridays.