Monday, April 1, 2013
However you want to spell it, donut or doughnut, I'm in love with these Strawberry Donuts! I'm super excited for YOU to try these amazing little guys! They are light, soft, tender, not overly sweet and oh so spring-y tasting! There are little bits of REAL strawberries in each bite! My husband actually told me, these are the BEST donuts he has EVER had! I know, I've been using lots of exclamation marks, but they are just that good and deserve every little exclamation mark! Can you believe it, Gluten Free, Egg Free Strawberry Donuts?!!! They are a party in your mouth!
Donuts might sound really hard to make, but really these are quite simple. You CAN do it! Just make sure you get yourself a nice donut pan or two to use, so you can bake them, not deep fry them (your stomach will thank you). I'm actually thankful I have three pans so I can double the recipe if we have guests. Each batch makes 8-9 donuts.
Let's get down to business.
2 c gluten free flour mix (I used this one, scroll to the bottom of the bread recipe to find it)
3/4 t xanthan gum
1/3 c sugar
1 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/4 c coconut oil (melt before measuring)
1 T melted butter
1/3 c milk
1/2 c mashed strawberries
1 T strawberry jam
1 T 100% pure maple syrup
2 c powdered sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 c milk
1 T strawberry jam
1 t vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 425.
2. Grease donut pan with cooking spray or brush with melted coconut oil.
3. In a medium bowl, combine gluten free flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. (You could even make a couple extra batches to store for next time you want to bake them)
4. In a glass measuring cup, melt/measure the coconut oil. Then add butter and melt together. Stir in milk, mashed strawberries, jam and syrup. Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined (don't over mix).
5. Put dough into a plastic baggie, snip off a little corner and pipe into prepared donut pans.
6. Bake 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
7. To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, salt, milk, jam and vanilla. Mix together well.
8. Dip the top half of warm donuts, into the glaze. If you want them to be more sweet, you can dip them into the glaze again.
I hope you love them too!
This recipe has been shared on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Allergy Friendly Fridays & Gluten Free Fridays.