Wednesday, May 8, 2013
With summer just around the corner, it is the perfect time to share this light treat!
These little shortcakes were made in muffin tins, then cut in half to layer with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. They are great for making individual servings.
I am delighted with how this recipe turned out and love that they are light, not heavy. I hope you enjoy them too!
Years ago, Dairy Queen use to make Strawberry Shortcake Blizzards. They were my berry favorite! This recipe will soon be used to make my own Gluten Free, Egg Free Strawberry Shortcake Blizzard at home...hooray!
1/4 c Spectrum Organic Shortening
2/3 c sugar
1 1/2 t Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked in a small bowl with 2 T warm water til dissolved and frothy
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 c Natalie's Gluten Free Flour Mix (My favorite GF flour mix, easy to make at home)
2 t baking powder
1/2 c milk (For Dairy Free: use Rice Milk or your favorite milk substitute)
2 c heavy whipping cream
1/4 c powdered sugar
1/4 t vanilla
1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour muffin tins.
2. Cream together shortening and sugar. Then, add egg replacer and vanilla and beat together well. Set aside.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together salt, flour and baking powder.
4. Alternately, add and stir in the flour and milk to the creamed sugar mixture. Add about 1/3 of the flour, 1/2 milk, another 1/3 flour, remaining milk, and end with the remaining flour. Do not over stir, just make sure it is all incorporated.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each half full.
6. Bake 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly golden on top and toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
7. While cakes are cooling, prepare Whipped Cream. In a mixing bowl, add cream, sugar and vanilla. Start mixer on low with whisk attachment and gradually turn up to high. Mix for a couple minutes or until fluffy and peaks.
8. Cut each shortcake in half horizontally. Place the bottom half in a cup or on a plate. Top with strawberry slices then a dollop of whipped cream. Place top half of shortcake on top of whipped cream, cover with strawberry slices and finish with a top of whipped cream.
1 can coconut milk